Medallion Signature Guarantee
What is a medallion signature guarantee?
The Medallion Signature Guarantee is used for selling, redeeming or transferring securities, such as stocks or mutual funds. The transfer agent requires the signature of the owner(s) of the securities to be “guaranteed” by a financial institution before they will act upon the transaction request. The Medallion Signature Guarantee procedure is more complex than a notarized signature procedure.
Since the Credit Association accepts liability for any forgery, we are required to verify more information than is needed for a signature to be notarized.
Why do I need medallion signature guarantees?
One of the main purposes of the Signature Guarantee is to protect the securities owner by preventing fraudulent transfers. When the Credit Association processes a Signature Guarantee, we are not only verifying that your signature is genuine, but that you are the appropriate person to sign the request, and that you are acting within your legal capacity to sign the transaction request form.
What do I need to bring to the Credit Association if I need a Medallion Signature Guarantee?
In order to expedite the Medallion Signature Guarantee process, please bring the following:
- Two forms of identification, one being an un-expired photo identification such as a drivers license or state issued ID card
- A document proving your ownership of the security you wish to sell, redeem, or transfer, such as a recent account statement
- Verification of the approximate value of the securities involved
- In special cases, we may need other documents that demonstrate your legal capacity to act on the account (for example a will, power of attorney documents, trust documents, death certificate, small estate affidavit, etc.)
- All joint owners of the security must be present, as they will also need to sign. The joint owners will also need to present two forms of identification.
The Credit Association has signature guarantors at the following branches:
We have the ability to process signature guarantees on transactions up to $500,000 at the following locations:
- Nonconnah Branch 2731 Nonconnah Blvd., Memphis, TN 38132
- WHQ Branch* 3670 Hacks Cross Rd. Bldg. G, Memphis, TN 38125
- LA Branch 740 N. Sepulveda Blvd., El Segundo, CA 90245
We have the ability to process signature guarantees on transactions up to $100,000 at the following locations:
- Cordova Branch 8195 Dexter Rd., Cordova, TN 38016
- Harrison Branch 2200 Forward Dr., Harrison, AR 72601
- Indianapolis Branch 3724 South High School Rd., Indianapolis, IN 46241
- Pittsburgh Branch* 1000 FedEx Dr., Moon Township, PA 15108
- WTC Branch* 50 FedEx Parkway, Collierville, TN 38017
*FedEx ID Badge required to access starred locations
If your transaction is larger than this, please contact the issuer of your security to request assistance in finding another local Signature Guarantor to handle your request. To ensure prompt and accurate service, please call ahead to confirm that the person with medallion authority will be there to meet when you arrive.